Review important details of what to expect before, during and after surgery and when going home.
Wolfson Children’s Hospital provides technologically advanced surgical care in a kid-friendly setting. From routine tonsillectomies and appendectomies to complex brain surgeries and heart procedures, our pediatric specialists perform nearly 11,000 surgical procedures each year to treat infants, children and adolescents with a wide range of conditions.
We know kids
When a procedure requiring anesthesia is needed, it's important to bring your child to a place designed specifically for children and staffed by professionals trained to provide health care to kids.
Experienced team at the ready
The pediatric surgical specialists at Wolfson Children’s are highly qualified and specialized. Our surgeons and anesthesiologists are board certified and surgical nurses are certified in pediatric advanced life support.
Easing Fears and Reducing Pain
Full-Service Anesthesia Just for Children
Small bodies need specialized attention. That’s why patients at Wolfson Children’s will have a board-certified pediatric anesthesiologist during surgery. For complex heart procedures, we have anesthesiologists with additional expertise in cardiac care.
The anesthesia team also provides acute pain management for post-operative care and works with the palliative care program to help manage pain and make children as comfortable as possible. Additionally, we can block nerves and numb a specific area using ultrasound-guided techniques, which are often more effective and use less medication.
- Surgery facilities feature state-of-the-art technology and imaging capabilities in a child-friendly atmosphere.
- Specialized hybrid operating room brings imaging into the sterile operating room environment.
- In many cases, surgery can be done with a minimally invasive surgical approach with the da Vinci robotic surgical system, laparoscopy or other techniques.
- Specialized operating suites allow us to provide the highest level of care for some of our most critically ill and injured patients.
- Gold-level status PICU for recovery of the most critical patients.
For most surgeries that don’t require an overnight stay, you’ll probably visit an outpatient surgery center at Wolfson Children’s designed with your family in mind. After checking in, you’ll meet your child’s nurse, who will communicate regularly with you. Younger children are sometimes transported in wagons that look like boats rather than wheelchairs. If able after surgery, patients can stay hydrated with cool, slushy drinks. Families spend time in comfortable waiting areas and meet with surgeons in private rooms.
Family approach with coordinated care
Our commitment to providing exceptional care begins with a family-centered approach that includes close coordination with your child’s primary care physician. This allows for a seamless transition between the hospital and your child's primary care provider's office.
Types of surgeries
These are some of the outpatient (no overnight stay) and inpatient (admitted to hospital) procedures we perform:
- Ear, nose & throat, including ear tubes, tonsillectomy, salivary gland stone removal and more.
- General surgery, including gallbladder, hernia repair, appendectomy and more
- Urological procedures, including birth defect repairs and lithotripsy for kidney stones
- Orthopedics, including sports medicine, spinal disorder and limb deformity
- Gastroenterology procedures
- Heart procedures
- Minimally invasive procedures, including laparoscopy
- Craniofacial, including cleft palate
- General plastic surgery
- Bone marrow harvest
Complete this form and bring it with you so we can get to know your child and any special needs.
Kids 3-18 years and their families can take a tour to prepare for the surgical experience, from check-in through recovery. To schedule a pre-operative tour, call Child Life at 904.202.8541