Emergency & Trauma
Wolfson Children’s has the most experienced pediatric emergency teams around. From broken bones and breathing problems to traumatic injuries, we are the experts at caring for kids with life-threatening and urgent medical needs.
Where You Go in An Emergency Matters
We know that children have their own unique medical needs and our children's emergency centers are built with your child's growing body in mind. Wolfson Children's has special protocols, equipment and staff to handle serious pediatric issues that may arise from seemingly minor symptoms. And Wolfson Children's is the only ACS-verified Level 1 Pediatric Trauma Center in the region.
Pediatric Trauma Referral Center
In the event of a serious traumatic injury, bring your child to the Porter Family Children's Trauma Center at our downtown campus. With a 24/7 in-house pediatric trauma team, we provide faster, direct access to specialized care during the critical "golden hour" following a trauma, including burns. Our Critical Care Tower includes a pediatric burn unit, allowing us to offer your child the highest level of care, close to home, throughout the healing process and follow-up care.
Our ER and Trauma Center in downtown Jacksonville earned:
- The Emergency Nurses Association Lantern Award for excellence in practice and performance
- Level I Pediatric Trauma Center verification by the American College of Surgeons (ACS)
Children should visit the ER if they have:
- A wound that won’t stop bleeding
- Breathing problems like shortness of breath or difficulty inhaling/exhaling
- A blow to the head that causes loss of consciousness, disorientation or sleepiness
- Possible medical overdose or possible poisoning
- A faster-than-normal heartbeat that doesn’t slow with rest
- A stiff neck accompanied by a fever and disorientation
- If you suspect your child has a broken bone
We know kids
We don't just say we know kids, we really do know kids. Wolfson Children's has been caring for children in our region since 1955. Treatment at our emergency centers comes with the full range of resources of our nationally recognized children's hospital. That means quick access to doctors representing 30+ pediatric specialties when it matters most.
Sometimes a child's condition may not appear serious; however, our pediatric ER specialists have extensive training and experience caring for kids, so they're able to recognize even the smallest signs when a child is in trouble. Even if your child is unable to communicate due to age, injury, illness or neurodevelopmental condition, our caring nurses and doctors are ready to meet their needs.
Kid-sensitive imaging is our specialty. We use "Image Gently" protocols to give children the lowest dose of radiation possible while still providing accurate results.
Top Reasons Wolfson Children’s is the Right Choice
- Open 24/7
- No other ERs in the region have more experience with every level of emergency care for children
- Board-certified pediatric radiologists read all X-rays, CTs and MRIs
- Pediatric pharmacists review all medication orders
Pediatric imaging technologists use the lowest possible radiation exposure
- Kid-sized trauma equipment and imaging technology
- Kid-friendly treatment techniques to increase comfort
- Our downtown ER fast track clinic offers treatment of less urgent injury or illness
Critical Care Transport
Hospitals and physicians can arrange transportation of critically ill children to Wolfson Children’s Hospital from another facility on our helicopters, plane or Kids Kare Mobile Intensive Care Unit. Newborns to teenagers will receive the critical care they may need while en route.