Walter and Michelle Stys Neuroscience Institute
Wolfson Children’s Hospital provides pediatric neuroscience services in partnership with Nemours Children's Specialty Care, Jacksonville and the University of Florida College of Medicine, Jacksonville. Learn more
Growing children with neurovascular problems require special care by the most practiced specialists around. That’s why the Cerebrovascular Center at the Stys Neuroscience Institute brings together experts from different medical specialties to make sure every aspect of your child’s condition is cared for.
Wolfson Children’s Hospital has been ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of the 50 best children’s hospitals in the nation for neurology and neurosurgery. Our team is involved in research and clinical trials and provides treatment options based on the latest medical advancements.
Conditions We Treat
- Arteriovenous malformations (AVM)
- Arterial dissections
- Cavernous malformations
- Moyamoya syndrome
- Chronic headaches and migraines
- Cerebrovascular disease
Treatments We Offer
- Embolization – a procedure that closes blood vessels in the brain by inserting a tube through a tiny incision in the groin
- Craniotomy and Resection – a surgical procedure that removes a portion of the skull to get rid of abnormal blood vessels in the brain
- Radiosurgery – a beam of radiation is aimed into abnormal vessels, triggering a process that causes the blood vessels and their linings to get thicker and shut down from the inside
- Clipping – a surgical procedure in which a clip is placed on a blood vessel to prevent blood flowing into it
- Pial synangiosis surgery – a surgical procedure for children with Moyamoya syndrome that replaces a diseased artery with a healthy donor artery
- Rehabilitation – Our speech, physical and occupational therapists help children improve strength, regain movement and achieve independence in activities of daily living after a stroke or cerebrovascular event.
Wolfson Children's is a national leader in both minimally invasive and highly complex neurological surgeries. Our state-of-the-art operating rooms are specially equipped to bring MRI to the patient during surgery. Surgeons can use the sophisticated imaging equipment during procedures to precisely guide and verify intricate repairs, all leading to better outcomes.
The Stys Neuroscience Institute team provides compassionate, family-centered care in our state-of-the-art facility. Our team works together to create a treatment plan based on your child’s specific needs and the latest medical advancements.
The Neuroscience Institute serves the North Florida and South Georgia region and beyond with patients seeking care from throughout the region. Wolfson Children’s is located on the south bank of the St. Johns River in Jacksonville, Florida.
Learn how a headache led to the diagnosis of Caleb’s life-threatening condition and ultimately saved his life.
On the first day of school, Evan had a cool story to tell his friends, and a neat little scar to prove it.