Walter and Michelle Stys Neuroscience Institute
Wolfson Children’s Hospital provides pediatric neuroscience services in partnership with Nemours Children's Specialty Care, Jacksonville and the University of Florida College of Medicine, Jacksonville. Learn more
Wolfson Children’s is home to the region’s only sleep disorders program just for children ages newborn to 18.
Top neurology program
The Sleep Center at the Stys Neuroscience Institute brings together sleep medicine experts and other specialists who work with your family to carefully determine the cause for your child’s sleep disorder and create an individualized treatment plan.
Our neurologists work with other doctors to treat the underlying cause(s) of your child’s sleep disruption, such as GERD, epilepsy and seizures, obesity, respiratory problems, neuromuscular disease, craniofacial disorders, or ear, nose and throat issues.
Conditions We Treat
- Delayed sleep phase syndrome and circadian rhythm disorders
- Restless leg syndrome
- Narcolepsy and hypersomnia
- Sleep-disordered breathing
- Sleep-related rhythmic movement disorders
- Parasomnias (sleepwalking, sleep terrors)
- Bedwetting (nocturnal enuresis)
- Nocturnal seizures
Evaluation and Diagnosis
- Sleep study evaluation
- Non invasive and complex ventilation evaluation
- Follow-up appointments to review sleep study results
Treatments We Offer
- Sleep studies
- Evaluation and treatment of behavioral sleep disorders
- Medication management for sleep disorders
- CPAP and BiPAP therapy for obstructive sleep apnea
Expertise in Kids with Special Needs
Our Sleep Disorders Center team knows kids, especially those with special needs. We have advanced technology to help children with these and other conditions:
- Epilepsy/seizure disorders
- Chronic/complex lung conditions
- Down syndrome
- Muscular dystrophy
- Weight Problems
- Gastrointestinal reflux disease
- Attention deficit hyperactive disorder (ADHD)
Sleep Studies Just for Kids
Sleep studies are conducted for newborns, children and teens in our family-friendly facility that’s accredited by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine. The equipment is kid-sized and sleep technologists are specially trained to monitor children, even those with complex medical conditions.
What to expect during a sleep study
During an overnight stay, several small sensors will be placed on your child’s scalp, face, chest, abdomen and legs to monitor brain-wave activity, eye movements, muscle activity, heart rate and respirations. You will stay with your child and our specialists will monitor breathing and other signs or symptoms during sleep. The spacious, quiet rooms are dark enough for sleep, and each has a private shower/bath.
Our Sleep Center team of board-certified pediatric neurologists is led by a board-certified sleep medicine neurologist in our state-of-the-art facility. Together, they work with parents to make recommendations for treatment options.
The Sleep Center is located at Wolfson Children’s in Jacksonville, Florida, which serves the North Florida and South Georgia region and beyond with patients seeking care throughout the region.