Wolfson Children's Hospital is hiring for a Community Nurse Educator in our Pediatric Diabetes Unit. This is a Monday - Friday opportunity working 32 Hours a Week (4 Days a Week)
The RN, Community Nurse Educator will be responsible for:
- Assess newly diagnosed family’s knowledge base of diabetes and readiness to learn prior to formal instruction.
- Formulates a teaching plan specific to the individual patient’s/family’s needs.
- Teaches complex survival skills to patient/family.
- Evaluates patient’s/family’s response to instruction and their ability to perform complex skills to allow for a safe discharge.
- Provides advanced diabetes education to patient/family at an appropriate pace based on ability and understanding to allow for safe and effective diabetes self-management.
- Provides on-going diabetes education on an inpatient/outpatient basis.
- Provides training to patient/family on insulin pumps and continuous glucose monitors.
- Provides training on blood glucose meters, insulin administration, and other areas of diabetes management.
- Provides response to telephone calls/fax requests/emails/portal messages of both an urgent and a routine nature in a timely fashion to meet patient needs.
- Provides up-to-date standardized teaching materials for staff nurses, as well as for the patient/family to use in home care instruction.
- Reviews previous notes for continuity of care and documents current therapy suggestion.
- Assess patient/family as requested by physician for readiness with advanced therapies.
- Serves as a resource to nurses, dieticians, and the multidisciplinary discharge planning team in the provision of teaching complex skills to the patient and their family.
- Presents Pump Overview lecture to an appropriate educational level.
If you are interested in a rewarding career, with a Magnet designated facility, apply today!
- 3-5 Years Experience working with children with diabetes
License and Certification
- Certified Diabetes Care and Education Specialist (CDCES) Preferred
- Licensed Registered Nurse Required Or
- Licensed Dietitian Required Or
LocationWolfson Children's Hospital
800 Prudential Drive
Jacksonville FL 32207
Location Overview Wolfson Children's Hospital
Wolfson Children’s Hospital is the only children’s hospital in the region, serving North Florida, South Georgia and beyond. Ranked by U.S. News & World Report among the best children’s hospitals in the U.S., the hospital is staffed by skilled pediatric subspecialty physicians, pediatric nurses and other health care professionals, and equipped with advanced technology to help children overcome serious illnesses like congenital heart disease, cancer, neurological disorders, diabetes and more. As one of only two children’s hospitals in Florida to receive Magnet™ status, Wolfson is a regional referral center for tertiary pediatric care. Centrally located on the beautiful St. Johns River, 213-bed Wolfson Children’s Hospital is a part of Baptist Health.
The hospital is located close to the shops and fine dining of the historic San Marco area and is also near sports stadiums, theater and music venues, and museums.